Sunday, January 24, 2010

Q&A ~ Where Do I Start?

I find this rather funny that I'm doing a Q&A post on my blog already, but I've been asked the same questions by several people in the last 24 hours. So here it goes:

1. What camera do you use?
I have a Nikon D90 right now. (yes, right now. plan on making a pro purchase this year!) I am a Nikon girl for no other reason but that this is the camera my husband bought me for my birthday last year. If I had to go back and start fresh I'd probably go Canon. Hate me if you must. ;-)

2. Are you using any filters or special lenses?
I don't use filters (other than the one's in Photoshop!). Since Christmas I have been solely shooting with my new 50mm 1.4 lens, and man is there a difference! Seriously, if you have never shot with a good prime lens, do it! I'm able to get great depth of field with it, and it allows me to get those crisp shots. Truthfully, my lens and I are still getting to know one another, but I can tell we will be forever friends!

3. I want to become a better photographer. Where should I start?
This is a huge question, but what has helped me most is turning my camera's settings to manual and forcing myself to really understand how aperture, shutter speed and the ISO setting have an impact on my pictures. Then practice every day! I seriously am behind the lens every day capturing something. Then I study it and figure out how to improve on it. If you're a lunatic, like myself, you can't stop till the shot is perfect, and will read everything you can get your hands on to fix the shot.

My daily reading typically consists of about 30 photography blogs (don't be impressed. they are like picture books. not a ton of content, with very pretty pictures.) Getting ideas through other photographers is key. The angle's they use, lighting they suggest, or even tutorials in photoshop. I've learned the most from other photographers! Here are my top 5 blogs:
I am taking a course through the Photography Inst., but it's an online course w/o video instruction. So I don't know if I'd start there. It's heavy on the technical aspect. I've learned a ton, but I'm not sure how much it's impacted my pictures.

Lastly if you can, find yourself a mentor. I have an amazing friend, who has been mentoring me through building my photography business. She's been great at answering both my photography questions, as well as marketing strategies. Love her! Here is her blog:
http://www.jenniferburnsphotographyblog.com/

And sense no post is complete without a shot, here is another sneak peak from yesterday. Oh, and keep emailing me those questions. Once I get a few, I'll do another Q&A post!



2 comments:

Amy Doyle said...

Cyndi!! You have such an amazing eye and talent--what stunning pictures you take! How awesome that you are following your dream--good for you!!

Grace Photography said...

When I am taking pictures, I keep clicking away and hope that I get some good ones. I end up with over 100 photos when I am done. How do you narrow it down to just a handfun when you have so many that are really great?